Saturday, August 30, 2008

Movie Therapy: The Princess Bride

Sometimes I just need a movie to help me feel more like a person and less like a dishrag. My current mood dictates what kind of movie this will be: sometimes all I need is a good cry and an on-screen cry-partner, and sometimes I need to laugh until I snort soda out my nose (very painful, that). But there is one movie that will always cheer me up, no matter what mood I’m in: The Princess Bride. I know not everyone is in love with this movie, but if you’re one of those people, ask yourself: do I dislike it because it’s a genuinely bad movie in my opinion, or do I dislike it because of all the hype it gets? Because let me tell you, the hype is accurate. Even better is the fact that the book which the movie is based on is just as funny as the movie. Probably because the author of the book also wrote the screenplay for the movie, it is one of the few instances in cinema history where the book and the movie are on equal footing quality-wise.

What are some of your favorite pick-me-up movies?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I remember a particular math class in college, and two of the boys were saying phrases from the movie and the whole class was laughing and knew where the words came from. The movie has it's following :)

Bryn said...

Grindhouse.