Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Husbands, the use of

If you have something heavy that needs lifting, for goodness’ sake wait till your husband gets home and have him do it. Then ooh and ah appropriately at his superior strength so he doesn’t feel so put upon. If you simply have to move it now, remember to lift with your knees, and if it’s high up, don’t be afraid to get a chair or stool to stand on, or even the counter if you have to. Husbands are also very useful for opening jars, etc., and keep in mind that the ego trip you’re giving him by allowing him to use his muscles is good for his manly psyche. One of the pieces of advice my mother gave me before my impending marriage was that men have fragile egos, which need constant stroking and building. I have found this to be true, and I have also found that said stroking and building requires little extra effort. (In the example above, it requires refraining from effort, which always seems like a good plan to me.)

2 comments:

Kim said...

I once received some advice from my friend's grandmother who said "NEVER let your husband see you open a jar, or else they will think you are strong and you will be opening jars by yourself for the rest of your life!" ;-)

Unknown said...

I remember you saying about said husband that he is "plenty man to move things" when you were moving in your apartment and had all those heavy items to move. You have a way w/ words :-)